Providence College, River Avenue
The Providence College near River Avenue in
Providence, Rhode Island is a Catholic
College founded in 1917. It has been
recognized as one of the top Regional
Colleges in the Northeast for nine years by
the US News and World Report. It has over
four thousand students, counting both
undergraduates and graduates.
The Providence Collegeís 105 acre area
the Elmhurst neighborhood on Smith Hill,
which, in terms of topography, is the
highest point of Providence.
The college is
made up of forty four buildings: One
suite-style residential building, three
buildings dedicated to athletics, five
apartment-style residential buildings, nine
dormitories and twenty one buildings for
academics and administration.
The college also has an impressive array of facilities that would be the envy
of other schools.
|These include the Harkins Hall,
which houses an administration office, a number of
classrooms and the Blackfriars Theater; the Moore Hall,
formerly the Antoninus Hall, which is home to Providence
Collegeís intensive Development of Western Civilization
program; the science complex, including the Albertus Magnus
Hall, the Hickey Laboratory and the Sowa Hall.
The Feinstein Academic Center of
the Feinstein Institute; the Phillips Memorial Library; the
student union or the Slavin Center; the Accinno Hall which
functions as the computer science building; the Smith Center
for the Performing Arts; the Hunt-Cavanagh Hall for visual
arts and art history, and its annex, the Ceramics Building;
the St. Catherine of Siena Hall, which contains the Theology
and Philosophy departments; the Howley, Kofler, Sullivan and
the Service Building; the historic St. Dominic Chapel which
now stands on the same spot where the War Memorial Grotto of
Our Lady of the Rosary used to be; the Providence Collegeís
own physical and power plants; the Providence College
Mailroom, the intra-campus distributing body for mail and
other packages; and the Student Health Complex.
To house its over four thousand students, the Providence
College put up numerous residential halls and apartments.
The oldest of which is the Aquinas Hall. It contains the
Center for Catholic and Dominican Studies.
The schoolís athletic facilities include the Schneider Arena
and the Alumni Hall. The Alumni Hall is home to Providence
Collegeís on-campus basketball court. The Hall was
constructed in 1955 because of then college president Rev.
Robet J. Slavinís basketball program and also to honor the
schoolís alumni who fought in the Second World War. The
Alumni Hall was used exclusively by the menís basketball
program during the first seventeen years. Under the guidance
of coach Mullaney, the menís basketball team won the 1961
and the 1963 National Invitation Tournament. In 2001, the
Alumni Hall was renamed in honor of Mullaney.
The womenís basketball team started using the Alumni Hall in
1974. Throughout the years, the hall has been used as the
venue for more competitions such as the National Invitation
Tournaments and the Big East Conference womenís basketball