Saint Georges Roman Catholic Church
Saint Georges is a Roman Catholic Church in
Providence, Rhode Island. Tourists may make
the most of their visit to the Saint Georges
Roman Catholic Church by dropping by and
taking a look at some of the other buildings
and structures near the church.
It belongs to Rhode Islandís already large collection of churches which includes
Saint Maryís Episcopal Church, the First Baptist Church, the Sacred Heart
Rectory, the Pawtucket Congregational Church, the historical Norte Dame Church,
Saint Paulís Church, the Saint Sebastianís Rectory, the Central Falls
Congregational Church, the Saint Maryís Antiochian Church, the Covenant
Congregational Church, the Trinity Church, the Assembly of God Church, the
Cascade Oracion, the Central Baptist Church, the Saint Martinís Church, the
Gethsemane Church and the United Church of Christ.
They are the Dexter Asylum, the
Slater Mill Historic Site Library, the
Central Falls Free Public Library, the Isaac
Ray Medical Library, the Pawtucket City
Hall, the Pawtucket Boys Club, the Central
Falls City Hall, the Adams Memorial Library,
the Harris Warehouse, the William G. Braude
Library, the Main
Street Bridge, the Red Bridge,
the Washington Bridge, the Division Street Bridge and the
historical India Bridge.
Saint Georges Roman Catholic Church is also in close
proximity to the Blackstone Boulevard Park in Blackstone.
Blackstone is one of Providenceís residential neighborhoods.
It is located in the northeastern part of the city. It is
bounded by the Lloyd Avenue to the south and by the Hope
Street to the west. Blackstoneís major thoroughfare is a
street named after it, the Blackstone Boulevard.
Blackstone is a relatively new part of Providence. Because
of its distance from the city proper, its development, which
only started during the late 19th century, has been very
slow. When a second public horse car line was put in place
and completed, the Blackstoneís connection to the more
advances areas of Newport strengthened. Through the new
lines of connection came growth and progress. But what
became the catalyst for development in the area was not the
car lines, but the completion of the beautifully landscapes
Blackstone Boulevard in 1894.
During the 20th century, a number of buildings were put up.
These include the aforementioned Central Baptist Church, the
Saint Sebastianís Roman Catholic Church and the Temple
Emanuel. The rise of these buildings triggered the
construction of more structures in Blackstone.
Currently, Blackstone stands as one of the wealthiest
neighborhoods in Providence. Within it are two parks, the
Blackstone Boulevard Park and the Lippit Memorial Park. The
Blackstone Boulevard Park, consisting of over nineteen acres
of parkland, is situated between the lanes of the Blackstone
Boulevard. The Lippit Memorial Park, on the other hand, is
near the Pawtucket border at the intersection of Hope Street
and Blackstone Boulevard.
Blackstone is also home to Rhode Islandís only private
mental hospital, the Butler Hospital. Located off the main
boulevard, the hospital, founded in 1844, offers
substance-abuse and psychiatric treatment programs that are
among the best in America.